Halloween is an opportunity for your children to make an impression, to be admired by their peers, and be marveled at by strangers at their front door. Whether it’s about getting a good scare or embodying a favorite person or character, Halloween is a time for fun and creativity. So while every other kid on your street may opt for the latest Disney or Pixar character, this is a chance to go against the grain and do something way cooler.
What better way to create an original costume than to make it yourself? For that, we turned to Megan Avery of M. Avery Designs Sewing Studio, where she teaches youngsters and adults alike how to design and sew their own clothes, bags, and even Halloween costumes. She was kind enough to design and craft some great DIY Halloween masks that are easy and fun to put together. Whether your child wants to take the helm or you’re looking for a project to work on together, these masks are the perfect solution to beat the Halloween costume monotony.
DIY Super Hero Halloween Masks
Supplies & Tools:
– Multiple sheets of colored felt
– 3/4 yard of 1/2” wide elastic
– Sewing Machine
1. Pin and cut out all the mask pieces
2. Pin the eyepieces and star to the mask (as shown in photo) and stitch around the edge of the circle using 1/4″ seam allowance, attaching them to the mask.
3. Cut eye holes in the mask and stitch using 1/4″ seam allowance around the eye holes.
4. Stitch the elastic to the sides of the mask, making sure it fits around your head.
Visit maverydesigns.com for class schedules and party packages.
About the Author/s
The New Jersey Digest is a new jersey magazine that has chronicled daily life in the Garden State for over 10 years.