WORK IT OUT ANYWHERE THIS SUMMER
By Lisa Bruno
Attention Hoboken! This is a public service announcement! Whatever you do – don’t let your summer weekend travels derail your fitness and nutrition!
Take it from us. We’re all busy, just like you, always on the go! We put together a special Summer Weekend Away workout and eating plan that’ll keep you feeling fresh and toned no matter where you are traveling to or from.
Let’s start first with the work out!
We love to see you in the studios, and nothing beats a room full of bad-ass babes killing it in classes like Sweata Weatha, Next Stop Skinny, or a Blended Ride class. But when you cannot make it to us, we brought you the workout that you can take with you. No equipment needed.
Here is your on-the-go Sweata Weatha, that can be done alone or with vacay buddies! Just grab a watch or iPhone to time yourself and some music.
FULL BODY STRETCH: 1 minute each
- Down-dog + pedal out heels.
- Cat-Cows, on all fours arch and hollow into cat-cow.
- Straddle Stretch, sit in wide with legs apart, stretch Right Left and Center.
“Kill Em With Kindness”- Selena Gomez
WARM UP: 1 minute each
- Straight arm jacks, open close jump with feet.
- Standing upper body twists with crunch.
- Full body rhythm punch series jabs + hooks + uppercuts.
“Kiss it Better”- Rihanna – R3HAB Remix
LEGS: 1 minute each
- Alternating curtsy lunges.
- Slow squat jumps.
- Booty lifts, lay down flat on floor and squeeze glutes up and down. SLOW.
- Deep chair hold. Try on toes for an extra challenge.
“Easy Love”- Sigala
ARMS: 1 minute each
- Alternating pushups. Wide & Tight arm.
- Bridge dips. Feet flat, face hands toward booty and tricep dip to the beat.
- Tiny front arm circles, arms straight as can be and circle to front.
- Crow Pose OR Handstand Push Ups. Be careful.
“Real Friends”- Kanye
CORE: 1 minute each
- Plank hold with alternating shoulder taps.
- V Sit with pulsing straight arms.
- Full Sit Ups.
- Side plank hold for 45 seconds each side.
“Intoxicated“- Martin Solveig & GTA
CARDIO: 1 minute each
- High Knees.
- Heel Taps. Add hop for a challenge.
- Jumping Jacks.
- Repeat each for 20 seconds each.
“Make it Work”- Rick Ross ft. Wale & Rick Ross
COOL-DOWN: 30 seconds each
(Stretch whatever you need here)
- Right Lunge Stretch
- Left Lunge Stretch
- Lay on your back and slowly push up into a full wheel a.k.a. bridge.
- Right & Left Cross-body arm stretch
- Right & Left Triceps stretch
- Right & Left Pigeon stretch
“Spiral”- Rebecca Clements
Next is the most important piece of the “stay on your health grind while traveling” puzzle. What to eat?
Our biggest food goal in the summer is to stay hydrated and eat foods that keep you fuller for longer without the bloat.
How are we going to do that you might ask? Let’s remove some of life’s natural bloaters – dairy, most gluten, and meat-based proteins. We created clean recipes at the amount of calories an active, female should be eating in a day (approximately 1,800 calories). If you cannot prep these items, we put suggested meals to order that mimic the DIY versions.
Would you rather get back on the wagon when you are not away? Go for it and try these tips and guidelines for an extra boost.
- To really challenge yourself, try removing caffeine and alcohol from your diet (coffee, tea, soda) for four to five days at a time. This will help you lower any feelings of bloat and help balance your blood sugar.
- Strive to consume greater than or equal to 64-ounces of water. The menu is full of fresh fruits and vegetables increasing your fiber intake, water will help your digestive system work efficiently
- Go plant-based for five days by removing all meat protein. You can keep fish and eggs. This will allow your digestive system to work efficiently and flush out toxins from any indulging.
Directions: In a large bowl, mix together rice, chia seeds, milk, cinnamon, vanilla, and honey. Cover and let sit overnight in the refrigerator. In the morning, mix pudding again and top with walnuts and berries, if desired.
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened rice or almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon raw honey or agave
- 2 tablespoons crushed walnuts
- 1/4 cup berries (optional)
(Note for Breakfast! Can’t prep? Any acai or smoothie bowl will work, ask the waiter the ingredients, it should be mostly fruits, vegetables and limited dairy. Look for bowls that are almond milk based.)
SWEET GREEN SALAD
Directions: To serve salad, toss salad greens and fruit with dressing. Sprinkle with sliced almonds. Serve immediately.
- 2 cups spinach greens
- 1/2 plum, sliced
- 1/2 peach, sliced
- 1/2 nectarine, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 2-tbs EVOO
- 2-tbs Balsamic Vinegar
- Fresh squeezed half of lemon
(Note for Lunch! Can’t prep? Visit Fresh U or any other salad to go restaurant and have them build it for you.)
- Whole Fruit with ¼-cup of raw, whole almonds, walnuts or cashews. Fruits can include: medium green apple, pear, nectarine, peach
- 1-Luna Bar
- 1-Non-fat Greek Yogurt, with a small piece of fruit
- Almonds (18-whole, raw) – don’t incorporate if you ate almonds earlier in the day
- Grapefruit (pair with 16-pistachios, whole, raw)
- ½ of a cucumber sliced (pair with 2-tbs of hummus)
- Celery sticks (pair with 2-tbs of almond butter)
- Baby Carrots (12 raw)
(Note for Snacks! Eat 1-2 per day depending on your hunger level.)
Directions: Preheat broiler. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Combine first eight ingredients, stirring well; sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in salsa and 1 tablespoon cilantro. Cook 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates, stirring frequently. Working with the 2 tortillas, arrange tortillas in a single layer on a baking sheet; lightly coat tortillas with cooking spray. Broil 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Spoon about 1/4 cup of mixture in the center of each tortilla; place each serving with 1-slice of avocado. Broil an additional 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
- 2 teaspoons EVOO
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- ½-cup of black beans
- ½-cup chopped red onion
- ½-cup fresh corn kernels
- ½-cup chopped zucchini
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 (6-inch) fat-free corn tortillas
- Cooking spray
- 2-slices of avocado
(Notes for Dinner! Can’t prep? Mexican is a great way to stay gluten-free with a lot of items being corn based. So stop by any Mexican restaurant and you’ll be sure to find a tostada, just watch out with too much guac or added sour cream. Our @WiOnutrition Instagram has a bunch of great ideas, so check that out too!)
If you want to go big, contact me for more nutrition options and how to set up a chit-chat on all things health and wellness(email@example.com).
And when you are back in town, come on in to the studio for a class. We are located at 603 Willow Avenue and 5 Marine View Plaza (On River Street between 1st and 2nd).
About the author: Meet Lisa Bruno! She is the co-founder and nutritionist at Work it Out Fitness Studios in Hoboken. She holds a B.S./M.S. in Foods & Nutrition, as well as a B.S. in Communications and her personal training certificate.