The Full Guide for NJ’s Impending April 8 Solar Eclipse

by Staff
NJ solar eclipse

April 8 will offer a unique celestial event as portions of the United States will experience a total solar eclipse traversing across North America. This eclipse holds significance as it marks the final opportunity to witness a full eclipse in the U.S. for the next 20 years. And if you’ve seen the movie “Apocalypto” you might even be familiar with how it might look (minus the subsequent gore).

While other areas of the country may be more optimal to see the eclipse in its entirety, those of us in the Garden State may still anticipate an impressive display, as long as the weather cooperates. Approximately 90 percent of the sun will be obscured in our area, leaving just the remaining 10 percent of sun actually shining (even that small percentage is still the size of 130,000 Earths). It’s important to note that this event can cause serious eye damage, so it’s essential to take caution, but more on that later.

What Is a Solar Eclipse?

A solar eclipse, also known as The Great Eclipse, occurs when the moon aligns between the sun and Earth, causing the moon’s shadow to fall on our planet. This phenomenon occurs sporadically due to the moon’s orbit not perfectly aligning with that of the Sun and Earth. For a solar eclipse to be visible, two conditions must be met simultaneously: the Sun, moon, and Earth must form a straight line, with the moon positioned between the sun and Earth, and observers must be situated in the appropriate location on Earth to see it.

What Is the Best Time to See the Solar Eclipse in NJ?

Residents of New Jersey will be able to see the solar eclipse beginning at 2:09 p.m. The eclipse will max at 3:24 p.m., that’s known as the midpoint of the eclipse event, during which the moon obstructs the maximum amount of sunlight at that specific location. And finally, the solar eclipse in NJ will come to an end at 4:35 p.m. For more information across the country, please take a look at this NASA map.

solar eclipse nj

How Will the Eclipse Look in the Garden State?

Although the best views of the full eclipse will be seen better in areas like Buffalo, NY, experts at NASA still predict that virtually all of New Jersey will experience roughly 90 percent sun obscuration. As for weather conditions on eclipse day, we’ve examined past April 8 weather to provide the latest forecast – which as of the publication of this article looks to be a high of 61 degrees with morning clouds.

When Is the Next Total Eclipse After April 8, 2024?

Don’t miss out, as the next total eclipse visible in New Jersey won’t occur until May of 2079. The chances of witnessing the eclipse hinge on factors such as timing, location, and weather conditions.

Can the Solar Eclipse Damage Your Eyes?

Even brief exposure, such as a few seconds of direct sun viewing during the eclipse, can lead to eye damage. This can result in temporary vision loss, blurred vision, distortion, or even permanent damage. While some effects may be reversible, the majority of the damage is likely to be irreversible. It’s crucial to protect your eyes during the eclipse to avoid such risks.

eclipse april 8 nj

Where to Buy Solar Eclipse Glasses

If you can, please support your local communities and arts centers that are selling solar eclipse glasses. However, if you do not have immediate access, Amazon is offering one-day shipping on an array of different eclipse items. Take a search here.

Where Are People Viewing the Eclipse in NJ?

While many of us will be viewing the eclipse from our homes with our families or at the office with our coworkers, there are two viewing parties that have been on everyone’s radar. The first is a ticketed event held at the Liberty Science Center in Jersey City, NJ. Doors open at 10 a.m. and admission includes free glasses and a look into the center’s telescope. The second event many are talking about is the Sandy Hook watch party. Free parking in Parking Lot E, and park rangers will provide eclipse safety glasses and Junior Ranger Eclipse Explorer books and badges for visitors. This program is free of charge, and no reservations are needed.

Are you watching the solar eclipse in NJ this year? If so, tell us where below!

About the Author/s

All posts

The New Jersey Digest is a new jersey magazine that has chronicled daily life in the Garden State for over 10 years.

Related Articles

Leave a Comment

Yes, I would like to receive emails from The Digest Online. Sign me up!

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: New Jersey Digest. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact