Wondering how to build your own acai bowl at home? We went straight to the source and tapped Chef/Partner Kiersten Gormeley of Shaka Bowl in Hoboken. Some items you’ll need to make their Big Island Acai Bowl are a blender/Vitamix, two bananas, a carton of blueberries, a carton of fresh and/or frozen strawberries, bee pollen (optional) and any liquid of your choosing. Gormeley suggests adding bee pollen since it is one of the world’s most nutrient-dense foods and a natural energizer.
“At Shaka Bowl we like to keep everything dairy-free and most of the time nut-free, but to each his own when creating your super bowl at home,” Gormeley says.
To make one bowl, use two packets of pure frozen acai. “Most supermarkets these days, from Trader Joe’s to Shoprite, carry frozen acai packets. I suggest the Sambazon brand, one of the world’s leading acai distributors. At Shaka Bowl, we use pure acai that has no additives, fillers, soy, or dairy. It’s pure fruit,” she explains. Chef Gormeley and her sister, Krista, prefer the pure acai as opposed to acai with guarana since guarana is an additive in some acai that has caffeine and extra sugars. They note that guarana is not advisable for pregnant women.
“I suggest getting granola from your local supermarket. They vary in flavor, unique ingredients etc. so you can choose one you like. At Shaka Bowl our granola is made in-house since we specifically cater to our gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free customers. We feel the simpler the better.”
How to build your own acai bowl:
• 2 packets frozen pure acai
• 1 banana fresh or frozen
• 2-3 frozen or fresh strawberries
• 2-3 tablespoons of liquid (honey water, coconut milk or almond milk)
• 1/4 cup sliced fresh strawberries
• 1/2 sliced banana
• 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
• Sprinkle, bee pollen
• Drizzle of honey
1. In a blender or Vitamix combine the acai packets, banana, strawberries and liquid together. *Start out with a smaller amount of liquid for a thicker consistency and add more as needed. Blend until smooth.
2. Pour acai mixture into a bowl and top with sliced strawberries, banana, blueberries, a sprinkle of bee pollen and drizzle of honey.
Chef’s Tip: feel free to add any other superfoods to your base i.e. protein, powders, seeds, nuts, sweeteners.